Air duct cleaning counts among the most common seasonal jobs around the house. This task helps you prevent myriad problems down the road. In this short guide, we look at the best times of the year to get your air ducts cleaned and whether you should hire an air duct cleaning company to do the job for you.
What Are The Best Times Of The Year To Get Air Duct Cleaning?
Two times a year, an air duct cleaning company will see an uptick in maintenance requests: in the fall and spring. Each of them has its advantages. You can also schedule maintenance during off-peak times to save money.
Pros of Spring Air Duct Cleaning:
- The process won’t affect you much from an allergy and health standpoint because you can have an enjoyable time outside while the cleaning happens.
- You’re just coming out of winter, which means your pets have shed. Maintenance gets the loose hair and dander out of the system at the most reasonable time.
- Usually, you use your ductwork mainly in the colder months. However, you don’t need them in the spring as much, so it’s more convenient to service them.
Pros of Fall Air Duct Cleaning:
- If you get your system tidied in the fall, it’ll be ready before you go into the “busy season.”
- Your furnace runs better when your air ducts are clear, so you’ll have more reasonable energy bills if you get fall maintenance.
- Mold and pollen accumulation gets cleared before you turn the heat on, making your air quality cleaner.
What Are Some Signs It’s Time For Air Duct Cleaning?
It often becomes apparent when your system needs maintenance or service. Clogged filters count among the most obvious signs, but that’s not the only one.
There are often a handful of telltale signs that can tip you off that your system needs maintenance.
- There are funny smells when you turn on the heater.
- You spot signs of mold and mildew.
- There’s an increase in pest infestations.
- You experience allergy symptoms at unusual times and for no known reason.
- You’ve recently had construction work done on your home.
How Often Should Air Ducts Be Cleaned?
Although we’ve addressed the most common times of the year that people get their air ducts cleaned, the reality is the best time of year to clean your ducts is when they need it. Most of the time, you’re looking at getting your ductwork cleaned once every three to five years.
According to home expert Bob Vila, there is one other thing to note. It’s best to let an expert handle your ductwork if you determine that it needs to be done. This work requires equipment like special vacuums and rotary brushes that you likely don’t have. So taking on the job and doing it incorrectly could cost you more in the end.
How Long Does Air Duct Cleaning Last?
In general, you should count your air duct cleaning to last about three-to-five years. Depending on your system’s age and how well you’ve maintained it over the years, this timespan can vary. You can request an in-person inspection to help you determine when you should schedule service.
Get In Touch With A Monterey County Air Duct Cleaning Specialist
If you think you need to have your air ducts cleaned or you’re experiencing any of the above symptoms, odors, or sounds, it’s best to reach out to a professional instead of trying to DIY your ductwork maintenance. For high-quality maintenance, repairs, and service in the Monterey area, contact Disaster Kleen today.