The experts here at Disaster Kleenup Specialists in Monterey, CA want to help you feel prepared after an earthquake. California earthquakes are a common part of living life here. Unlike many other natural disasters, earthquakes happen without warning. We offer these safety tips so that you know what to do once the shaking stops.
First Things First
Life after any disaster can be challenging. Learning what needs to be done, trying to gather supplies that can be few and far between, coordinating repairs for your earthquake damaged property, plus the normal daily stuff like working, tending to your family and other responsibilities can be overwhelming for anybody.
The most important thing immediately following an earthquake is to check on the other people in the home to see if there are any injuries. Minor injuries can be treated on site. You should immediately call for medical assistance for serious injuries.
Do not attempt to move injured persons unless they are in further danger if they are not moved. You should also wear sturdy shoes that don’t slip off, if possible, to help avoid injury when walking through broken glass and debris.
Survey The Area
Once you know that everyone is safe and that all injuries have been tended to, you will want to inspect your property for potential hazards and damages. If at any time you feel that the structure is unsafe, evacuate immediately.
Keep in mind that aftershocks can happen at any time making already unstable structures collapse. Once outdoors check your surroundings again being mindful of trees and powerlines that can fall during aftershocks.
- Put out any small fires, if you can safely do so. Call 9-1-1 for large fires right away.
- Check for unstable or collapsing structures.
- Turn off the power if you see or suspect any wiring has been damaged.
- If you think you smell gas or see broken gas pipes shut off the main gas
- Do not turn on any light switches or light any flames if you smell gas. Leave immediately.
- Notify your utility providers if you have gas, electric, or sewer damages.
- Check for broken pipes and turn off the main water valve if pipes are broken or leaking.
- Contact your insurance company to file a claim.
- Document and photograph all damaged items and property before removing or repairing.
- Secure your home to avoid further damages or theft.
- Discard any food or medication that has been compromised.
- Carefully clean up broken and spilled items.
- Avoid drinking tap water until you are sure that it is safe.
- Bottled water, melted ice cubes, and water in the hot water heater are safe to drink if tap water is unsafe.
- Call a disaster clean up specialist to help with emergency board up, cleaning, and repairs. We can help you with this.
Be Smart, Be Safe
The most important thing to remember after an earthquake is to still proceed with safety caution. People are often understandably anxious to get their homes cleaned up after experiencing a disaster. Earthquakes can cause dangerous and unstable conditions inside buildings.
Your life and safety are more important than beginning earthquake repairs right away.
Our Earthquake Recovery Services
The longer it takes to make repairs the more likely you are to encounter additional structural damage. The professional staff here at Disaster Kleenup Specialists are here to make the process as simple and stress-free as possible. We offer a number of services to help those affected by a disaster. We are also happy to offer emergency response plans and will serve as your primary contact after an earthquake.
- Temporary Security Services
- Inspect Damages
- Emergency Board Up
- Emergency Repairs
- Roof Repair or Replacement
- Damage Repairs
- Tree Removal
- Ceiling and Wall Repairs
- Home Reconstruction
Earthquake Damage? Let Us Help.
We hope that these earthquake safety tips give you some idea of where to begin if you have experienced an earthquake. At Disaster Kleenup Specialists in Monterey, CA, our goal is to aid you in recovering from any disaster, including California earthquakes, as quickly as possible.
If you find yourself facing the enormous task of dealing with earthquake damages, contact us as soon as possible and allow us the privilege of making the process as easy and stress-free as possible for you and your household.
24 HOUR EMERGENCY RESPONSE | CALL (800) 427-1769
CITIES WE SERVE
Aromas, Big Sur, Bradley, Carmel, Carmel Valley, Castroville, Chualar, Gonzales, Greenfield, Jolon, King City, Lockwood, Marina, Monterey, Moss Landing, Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach, Salinas, San Ardo, Sand City, San Lucas, Seaside, Soledad, & Spreckels, CA.
Santa Cruz County
Aptos, Ben Lomond, Boulder Creek, Brookdale, Capitola, Davenport, Felton, Freedom, Los Gatos, Mount Hermon, Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Soquel, & Watsonville, CA.
San Benito County
Hollister, Paicines, San Juan Bautista, & Tres Pinos, CA.
Alameda, Albany, Berkeley, Dublin, Emeryville, Fremont, Hayward, Livermore, Newark, Oakland, Piedmont, Pleasanton, San Leandro, and Union City, CA.