If you are worried about chronic heavy metal exposure in an older home, Disaster Kleenup Specialists can test your Monterey or Santa Cruz County property for lead paint and other hazardous substances. It is difficult to identify lead pain without proper testing, so, when in doubt, it is best to call in professionals.
4 Signs Your House Has Lead Paint
- You Live In An Older Home
- The Paint Is Chipping Or Flaking
- The Walls Have Multiple Layers Of Paint
- You’ve Noticed Symptoms Of Heavy Metal Poisoning
1 – You Live In An Older Home
The federal government did not officially ban lead paint until 1978, so any house built prior to the 1980s should be inspected—especially if you also notice some of the other signs listed below. The older the house, the higher the chance that you and your family are exposed to this toxic substance.
The EPA estimates that around 24% of homes built in the 1960s and 1970s contain lead. This figure rises dramatically for each previous decade—nearly 90% of homes built before the 1940s used lead-based paint!
2 – The Paint Is Chipping Or Flaking
If the paint in your older home is visibly flaking or chipping off of your walls, this can be dangerous. Infants and toddlers love to put small objects in their mouths, and lead tastes slightly sweet, which makes it especially hazardous. Moreover, children are significantly more vulnerable to heavy metal poisoning compared to adults—ingesting even trace amounts can impact their neurological development.
3 – The Walls Have Multiple Paint Layers
If you notice additional layers of paint behind the regions that are chipping, peeling, or flaking off, there could potentially be lead in one of the hidden layers. A previous homeowner may have simply painted over the original layer with a non-toxic alternative rather than actually removing lead paint, but this still doesn’t eliminate the health risks—especially if the outer layers are peeling off and exposing the lead-based paint underneath.
4 – You’ve Noticed Symptoms Of Heavy Metal Poisoning
Long-term exposure to even a small amount of lead can cause chronic health issues and permanent brain damage, especially in children, seniors, and other vulnerable populations. However, many of the initial signs can go unnoticed because they mimic common symptoms of allergies, food sensitivities, or psychological issues. As such, it’s important to learn what signs to look out for and get your home tested for lead rather than risk long-term health complications.
Common Lead Poisoning Symptoms In Adults
- High Blood Pressure
- Memory Loss
- Difficulty Concentrating
- Mood Swings
Lead Poisoning In Children
According to the EPA, children with as little as 5 microliters of lead per deciliter of blood are considered to be in an at-risk category. Depending on the level of exposure, there can be numerous potential consequences ranging from mild to severe.
- Low Birth Weight
- Premature Birth
- Weight Loss
- Slowed Growth
- Nausea, Vomiting, Constipation, & Stomach Pain
- Behavioral Issues
- Speech, Hearing, & Learning Difficulties
- Developmental Delays
- In Rare Cases, Even Death
Lead Paint Removal In Monterey & Santa Cruz
If you think you and your family may be living in a home with toxic heavy metals, don’t wait until you experience health issues to address the issue. It is difficult to identify lead paint without professional testing, and DIY lead removal is even more dangerous. The experienced technicians at Disaster Kleenup Specialists can safely and effectively test your property and help you make an informed decision about what to do next. Schedule a consultation today to learn more about protecting your family’s health.