Living in the beautiful locales of Monterey and Santa Cruz doesn’t mean homeowners are immune to the less splendid experiences that owning a home can impart, one of which being water damage. Common water damage, often left untreated, can lead to severe financial and health problems. Discover the most common types of water damage and what to do about them.
Understanding The Common Types Of Water Damage
Understanding the different types of water damage is important in formulating the precise damage control and treatment strategy.
- Clean Water Damage: This type of damage occurs when water supply lines, such as those connected to appliances like washing machines or hot water tanks, burst or leak. The water generally isn’t harmful to humans as it’s devoid of contaminants. Sofa, carpet, or drywall soaked with clean water can often be salvaged.
- Sewer Backup: Black water or sewer backup is a severe form of water damage. It usually involves water steeped with solid waste, bacteria, or other pathogens, making it extremely hazardous. Any surface this water touches might have to be discarded to avoid health problems.
- Surface Water: This is associated with environmental causes such as floods from melting snow, heavy rains, or rising groundwater. The water, usually mixed with soil and other contaminants, can lead to mold and mildew, resulting in expensive repairs and replacements.
When Is Water Damage A Problem?
Water damage becomes a problem when it’s either unnoticed or left untreated. Concealed water leaks might reveal themselves only when the paint starts flaking in an unsightly way, floors pull up by themselves, or mold growth becomes visible.
Typical outcomes include structural weaknesses, respiratory problems, and in extreme cases, catastrophic failure of the property itself. This ultimately translates to expensive repairs and substantial homeowners insurance claims.
That’s why it’s important to get water damage taken care of immediately. If you don’t, you could be setting yourself up to deal with an even bigger problem down the road.
Water Damage Restoration — A Blend of Skill & Science
Water damage restoration involves a complex process starting with an assessment of the damage extent, followed by water extraction, drying, dehumidification, cleaning, and sanitizing the affected area. Depending on the damage severity, this might also entail removal and disposal of contaminated materials, mold remediation, and finally, restoring the property back to its pre-damage state.
By employing professional water damage restoration services, you’re assured of a thorough, timely, and methodical cleanup, thereby minimizing the likelihood of any lingering issues or recurring problems.
Risks Of Neglecting Water Damage
Dismissing water damage as a minor issue can cause a future catastrophe that might include.
- Structural Ruin: Once water seeps into the foundation, it can weaken the structure of residential and commercial buildings, threatening their stability.
- Health Hazards: Unattended water damage often leads to mold and bacteria growth, causing a range of health issues from allergic reactions to serious respiratory problems.
- Financial Impact: Overlooking water damage can lead to bigger repairs down the line, something your insurance may not adequately cover.
Homeowners in Monterey and Santa Cruz should address water damage promptly, and ideally by professionals to prevent irreversible damage.
Choose Disaster Kleenup Specialists — Your Solution To Water Damage
We understand the concerns and challenges homeowners face daily. Disaster Kleenup Specialists is committed to delivering unmatched water damage restoration services in the Monterey, Santa Cruz, and Sand City areas. With a robust team of trained professionals and state-of-the-art equipment, tackling water damage won’t seem like a disaster anymore.
Whether it’s severe water damage from a burst main line in the winter season or damage from a simple overflow, trust in our expertise and let us transform your distress into relief. Contact us today to book an appointment.