The filamentous fungi, known as molds, are among the most successful organisms on our planet. In their capacity to compete for energy, water, habitat and other means of sustaining life, they are capable of producing a number of toxic substances that can inhibit or prevent the growth of other organisms. For mold removal in Monterey County, contact Disaster Kleenup Specialists immediately.
Among some armaments are antibiotics that primarily affect other fungi and bacteria, volatile and often odorous organic compounds (mVOCs), which give flavors or odors to foods and moldering materials, phytotoxins that affect plant and mycotoxins that can affect animals and humans. Molds capable of forming mycotoxins are referred to as toxigenic (H. Ammann). Indoor environments have the potential nutrients for microbial growth. When enough water enters indoor spaces, bacteria and molds begin to grow excessively and they, and their products can contribute to contamination of the building and air.
Indoor Mold Growth
Fungal species found indoors, for the most part, enter indoor spaces from outdoors through openings such as doors and windows, or cracks and crevices that are not sealed. Human and animal activity can also bring mold spores indoors. The concentrations of fungi resulting from such transport generally do not exceed outdoor concentrations and may in fact be lower than outdoors in climate-controlled buildings.
When water damage occurs in a building, existing mold in the building can grow to sufficient numbers to be noticeably visible on surfaces and potentially affect the health and safety of the building occupants. Our mold removal experts in Monterey will safely eliminate mold growth.
Mold Exposure Effects
According to a leading health expert and specialist at the university of Minnesota, mold and mildew that grow in damp parts of a building also can cause health problems. The body reacts to mold particles, which are airborne, spread and breathed into our lungs. When mold grows in one area of a building, it can emit particles, which travel through the air. Generally, these particles will settle into one area if there is little air movement, but some of the particles will inevitably stay airborne; so the building occupants can be exposed not just in the area where the mold is growing, but also throughout the building.
Exposure to mycotoxins presents greater hazard to occupants than that of allergenic or irratative properties of molds. Spores and dust-containing mold fragments or toxin-containing substrate are small enough to be inhalable. If such material is aerosolized, it can be breathed in. A person breathing in mold particles can be at risk for numerous illnesses. The biggest health threat is from hypersensitive diseases, including asthma and chronic nasal drip.Humans can also develop infections caused by airborne fungus.
People who are immune-suppressed are particularly susceptible. There are various symptoms of mold exposure, including eye irritation, shortness of breath, running nose or general malaise. One may notice suddenly feeling better when leaving an affected area. Poor indoor air quality is associated most often with inadequate ventilation, but investigations are linking microbial growth with occupancy problems.
Mold has become an increasingly dangerous element of flood and water damage repair. With many different types of mold it is important to have your mold remediation project performed by trained and licensed professionals such as Disaster Kleenup Specialists. Please call us today at (800) 427-1769, and we will remove the mold from your property and restore your living or work environment to a safe and healthy state.