When it comes to natural disasters such as floods, taking some preventive steps can make a world of difference down the road. Disaster Kleenup Specialists is here to help Monterey and Santa Cruz area residents flood-proof their homes. We’ve put together a list of useful tips to get you started.
The Risk Of Flooding Is Increasing
Climate change, rising sea levels, and larger storm developments are leading to an increased risk of flooding in areas not previously prone to floods. FEMA has predicted a 45% increase in flood risk by the year 2100. Many of the major floods in recent years have been in areas where people believed they were safe from this natural disaster.
Act Now To Avoid Disaster
Damage to your home can be devastating, and major flooding can take more than a year to recover from fully. With this in mind, why not take steps to make their homes as flood-resistant as possible? Some flood-proofing tips are simple and easy to put into place,.
8 Minor Steps You Can Take Now
- Keep Rain Gutters Clear
- Point Downspouts Away From House
- Grade Landscaping Away From House
- Install Sump Pumps
- Install Sewage Water Backstops
- Seal Foundations & Basements
- Repair & Waterproof Foundations & Basements
- Install Watertight Shields For Windows & Doors
Major Flood-Proofing For Big Protection
California homeowners often decide to make major flood-proofing upgrades during flood repairs or during other home renovation projects. Not sure what steps to take? We can assess, advise, and put into place flood protections for your unique home.
- Elevate HVAC Equipment & Utilities
- Raise Electrical Outlets & Switches
- Elevate The Level Of Your Home
- Install Flood Walls
- Choose Water-Resistant Materials
Got Flood Insurance?
With preventative steps, you can reduce your risks, but no home is 100% safe from flooding. Up to 25% of flood insurance claims are made by people not living in a flood zone. Because of this, it is recommended that all homeowners carry a flood insurance policy.
- Believe it or not, most standard homeowner insurance policies will not cover weather-related flooding even if the home is not in a flood plain.
- Additionally, government-issued disaster assistance emergency funds are seldom adequate to cover the cost of flood cleanup and water damage restoration.
Save yourself the stress and anxiety of finding the funding for flood restorations. We regularly work with insurance companies to repair and rebuild homes throughout Central California.
We’re Here To Help Prevent Flood Damage
Whether you are facing flood damage restoration or want to get your home as flood-proof as possible, Disaster Kleenup Specialists is here to help. We can get your Monterey or Santa Cruz, CA area home looking good as new after a flood or help you create a flood-resistant plan for your property, just in case. Contact us today to get the process started.